Thursday, March 28, 2013

SPD: Southwestern Black Bean (and Venison) Salad

I'm linking up with Katie @ Keep Calm & Carry On and Stephanie @ Beautiful Mess for "Saw it, Pinned it, Did it!"


This week's recipe, "Southwestern Black Bean Salad" is actually originally from one of the gorgeous hostesses, Mrs. Katie!

..however my husband is a MAJOR carnivore so I adjusted the recipe a little to add some meat using some ground deer meet (thanks to Josh's little brother's successful hunting season) and made it a little bigger so we could eat on it for lunch this week.


Katie' version
and mine
Let me go ahead and apologize in advance for how bad the pictures are, my camera battery charger is MIA, so I had to use my cell, forgive me!
1 (15.5 oz) can black beans rinsed and drained

1 (16 oz) bag of frozen corn, thawed
2 tomatoes, chopped (or 2 cans of Rotelle)
1 medium avocado, diced
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
2 limes, juice of
1/2 cup Olive Oil 
2 Tbs cilantro
salt and fresh pepper
1 envelope of Taco Seasoning mix 
1 cup Mexican Blend shredded cheese
*Venison (or just ground hamburger)


1. Combine beans, corn, tomato, onion, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix with jime juice and EVOO. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 mins.



2. Brown your venison (or hamburger) then drain and season with the taco seasoning (just follow directions on packet)



3. Add the meat, cheese and avocado to your "salad". 

Note: Because I make such a big batch, I add the avocado to my individual serving each time, since re-heated avocado isn't so good. 



4. Serve with Tostitos and some sour cream!



3 comments:

  1. That looks so so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing. Ronnie would be so jealous that other ladies are making their hubbies venison meals because I always complain about it. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum! this recipe looks great and makes for an easy dinner or appetizer

    ReplyDelete