Thursday, October 14, 2010

such a sad day for beach music lovers

I write (type) with a heavy heart that the beloved General Johnson of Chairmen of the Board passed away this morning.

If you're from the South-Eastern part of the United States then you SHOULD have heard of this wonderful crew of beach music crooners.  Their songs "Carolina Girls", "Gone Fishin'", "Down at the Beachclub", "Danglin' on a String", "Give Me Just a Little More Time" and " It Aint What You Do, It's the Way You Do It" are some of my favorites. And of course "I'd Rather Be in Carolina" and the lyrics below make my heart melt.

Josh used to sing this one to me all the time:

You are so beautiful,
you're such a sight to see,
you're the girl for me.
(You, you, you, you, you, you, you, you)
You set my soul afire,
filling my heart with one desire,
wanting to be with you.
You could make a blind man see,
you could make a crippled man walk,
You could make the quietest man in the world talk.
Uh, huh, huh. (Nobody else will do.)
Every little boy in town
wants to get his arms around
(You, you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you, you)
For no one else will do
but you, with your 39-21-40 shape,
Yes, you got me going ape-ity-ape over you
(You, you, you, you, you, you, you, you. Ah, ah, ah, ah, you)
 

Some of my best memories took place either at a Chairmen concert or while listening to a Chairmen song. The Back of the Bus crew used to sing "Carolina Girls" alllll the time riding to and from soccer games and I can remember SO many trips to Deadwood with friends to hear them perform.  

The pictures below are from the last Chairmen performance I attended. I plan on spending the rest of the day listening to their wonderful beach music tunes....


that face I'm making is because we were standing next to the rudest, trashiest girls of all time
The General - he will be terribly missed

No comments:

Post a Comment