Monday, January 31, 2011

Recipe Week - #1 the only way I can eat porkchop

This week, I am going to share with your some of my favorite recipes - some easy and quick, some I save for special occasions. 

The first is Pork, Lentil & Apple Soup from "Better than Mom's Slow Cooker Recipes" (a cookbook I got on the bargain aisle at B&N).

Now, the book calls it a "soup" but with all the apples, pork-chop hunks and lentils in it, it's more like a stew.
I personally HATE pork-chops - I think it's a texture thing - so stewing them down to super tender meat in a stew is just about the only way I will touch them.

The recipe is pretty easy and it involves my favorite kitchen gadget - the crockpot.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean pork-chops
1 cup dry lentils
3 apples (I use 4)
1 teaspoon dried Marjoram
2 (140z.) cans of beef broth (3.5 cups)

Directions:
1. Brown pork-chops - they don't have to really be cooked all the way through, just browned on the outsides
2. Cut pork-chops into little 1 inch pieces (directions actually say 1/2 inch pieces, but that's pretty tedious)
3. Peel, core and chop up apples into little pieces (I chop each apple slice into about 5 pieces so they're less than a 1/2 inch thick)
4. Transfer meat and apples to crock pot then add lentils and Marjoram over them.
5. Pour the beef broth over the other ingredients and stir
It should look something like this:

6. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 hours (I actually cook mine almost 9.5 because I turn it on before I leave for work then off when I get home, and it does fine). 
7. Enjoy!

Marjoram is on the spice aisle and Lentils are little dried bean things found with the bags of Lima beans and the like.
It makes about 4 servings and only takes about 15 minutes to make - so it is certainly a winner in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment