Monday, August 8, 2011

catch-up

Sorry this is so late!
I just got to work after visiting Duke Sports Medicine Clinic this morning about this stupid knee of mine.
Want a little background about my knee? Read this post and this post.
So, last time I talked about said knee I told ya'll that my original surgeon from '09 thought I just had some arthritis built up in my knee... well he wasn't entirely right.
A colleague at my dad's clinic said that in his opinion I was way too young to settle for being in pain for the rest of my life and that I should probably seek a second opinion with someone who specializes in younger patients with knee issues.
Enter Duke Sports Medicine.

Now, me and the hubs are not big Duke fans (and by "not big Duke fans" I mean we loathe their basketball team with every ounce of our being GO HEELS!) but I cannot deny that they have impressive doctors and surgeons.

First of all this guy walked by us as we got on the elevator.
That's Chris Collins, assistant basketball coach for Duke University. Don't worry, we didn't spit on him.

Secondly, I had to complete a 12 page form about my knee and my pain and such then finally I met with the doctor.

He said that he thinks that me being out of shape after my pregnancy (ouch) plus me being so scared to do too much w/ my knee has made my hip on my left said very weak causing me to overuse my knee and that is what is causing the pain. He wants me to do physical therapy in hopes of strengthening that hip muscle back up then come back and see him. The doc hopes that the PT will prevent me from having to have another surgery.

So this is good news and bad news.

I am impatient. Therefore I like quick results. Physical therapy doesn't give you quick results, it gives you gradual improvements while you work your butt off.

So prayers are needed, both for me and my physical therapist. We will probably hate each other.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking about you! I have done physical therapy twice on my shoulder and, much like you, I like to see quick results so I had a love/hate relationship with physical therapy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well...on the bright side, you don't have to have surgery...but i'm like you...impatient and what things done ASAP!

    ReplyDelete